Much Needed Wisdom


There are times that, while in the midst of struggle, wisdom appears. This is one of those times.

Every morning we start our day by reading a small book called Everyday Tao, by Deng Ming-Dao (1996). Taoism is credited with being, by far, the oldest of human religions, with its sacred text attributed to Lao Tzu, a person who may have been real or simply legend. The name Lao Tzu simply means old wise one, so basically the Daodejing could be thought of as the oldest recording of human wisdom on the planet, or at least to our current and limited knowledge. So, why is all this important?

Because I need wisdom. We all need wisdom. Because we all suffer, either by pain inflicted outside our control, or by reliving and ruminating (yes, ruminating) over the pain that has been inflicted. We cause our own pain and suffering. And, heaven help us, we just can't seem to get out of our own stupid way. Sound familiar?

My beloved read the following excerpt to me this morning. I have been slogging through a Master's degree program, which would be hard enough on its own. But add unexpected criticisms, online tech platforms, and time zone difficulties, and this endeavor has culminated into much pain and suffering. I really needed to hear this today. Perhaps you do, as well.

"No matter what happens in life, believe in yourself. Don't give up that for a god. Don't give that up for a master. Don't give that up for a parent. Don't give that up for a spouse. Don't give that up for a child. No matter what, believe in yourself.

Not one of these people can live in your place. Not one of these people knows you like you know yourself.

No god knows you. No master knows you. No fortune-teller knows you. No one can know you if you don't want to be known. Why? Because the future is not yet made. How can they know what you will do next?

Too many people let others dominate them. For what? For the good of the other only. If you let society dominate you, who wins? Society. If you let your parents dominate you, who benefits? Your parents. If you let a master dominate you, who is empowered? The master. If you let gods dominate you, who is enriched? The gods. 

And where does that leave you?

The master says, "study with me, or be relegated to ignorant sorrow." The gods say, "worship me, or I will punish you in this life and in lives to come." Tell me, what good are associations built on dirty threats?

Tao does not threaten. Worship it and it will not be augmented. Ignore it and it will not be diminished. Follow it and you will be preserved. Oppose it and you will be destroyed. But, if you do choose to follow it, you become independent. That is liberation."

(Ming-Dao, p. 206)

I set my intention to believe in myself. I set my intention not to succumb to domination and self-degradation due to the threats of a master (or anyone). I set my intention to be kind, compassionate, and wise to myself, about myself, in my thoughts, words, and actions. And finally, I intend to be inspired daily by the words of the Dalai Lama. When he was asked about his critics, he wisely answered thus:

"I have been called many things for many years, a 'wolf in sheep's clothing,' a 'counter-revolutionary,' and so on. When I hear such criticisms, I look carefully at my intentions. If my intentions are good and I know them clearly as such, then ultimately I just don't care about these criticisms" (Rothberg, The Engaged Spiritual Life, 2006, p. 55).

I, too, look carefully and honestly at my intentions. My intentions are to do the best I can, and then rest knowing that my work may not have been perfect, but that I did the very best I could. I work hard, I diligently try to fulfill expectations as a student, mother, partner, and friend. I don't always succeed. But in the face of criticism, I must say that when I carefully examine my intentions, I know they are good. And that is good enough.

Comments