Resolute

A wise man said to me last year, "Oh Liz, don't you know that something like 95% of folks that make New Years resolutions don't keep them?" I quickly retorted that I, for one, was going to keep mine. It was a fairly easy one, so I thought it would not prove too difficult and besides, I wanted to prove my friend wrong.

Well, I failed, and he was right...at least about me. :-)

So, since I didn't do too well last year, I thought of some resolutions that would be easier to keep... you know, fail-proof. How about some of these:

This year I'm only going to eat when I see something I want to eat. Hey, that's easy enough, right? So much for weight loss...

This year I am not going to make any bad puns and pretend they are funny. Especially in public.

This year I am not going to get a tatoo. *shrug* No problems, there!

This year I am not going to honk at anyone in my car unless it is truly an emergency. (ha! fat
chance!)

I suppose most folks make the same resolutions every year, like losing some weight or quitting smoking. And I want to know why we make this meaningless vow only to break it a month later. Who thought of this tradition, anyhow?

I think it's dumb. I thought I had chosen an easy one last year. Every year folks remember my birthday, which comes at the first of the year. And, every year I hope that I will remember all those that remembered mine. And every year, I fail miserably; not on purpose, mind you, and not because I don't care. Well, I'm not really sure why! But, I thought it would be a good idea just to write all the birthdays down in a handy-dandy little logbook, then consult it each month.

Can I just say this doesn't work for me? I'm just gonna admit it.

Hey... I just thought of another great resolution:

This year I am not going to start any sentences with the word 'and'. That should make my old language teacher happy, eh?

I'm not sure what resolution I'll make this year, if any. I have totally bucked the system in the past, and said forget it - I'm not makin' one. I may try that again this year.

I wonder if it would be more beneficial for those close to us to pick our resolution for us.... hmmmm. I'll have to ponder that one...

Comments