MySpace v. Facebook

Why all the hype all of a sudden with Facebook? Why is everyone trying to choose Facebook over MySpace?

Surprisingly, I now have 62-ish friends over on the 'other' social utility. I really didn't actively seek friends there, or here for that matter. However, it would seem that there is some motivation on quite a few minds to choose one or the other. I'm not quite sure why.

MySpace is a creative space for me; I loved building my own profile, adding videos, pictures, slideshows, favorite quotes, music, etc. I have enjoyed speaking with far-away friends and making new ones that have found me through the search features here. I'm not sure that could have happened on Facebook.

I like Facebook, as well, as there are a good many people that like that site better just due to the lack of obnoxious ads (although I have seen plenty of irritating ads on Facebook, as well.) I'm fully aware that those with a religious bent feel that Facebook is 'cleaner' and more acceptable. *shrug* I don't know...I still like both.

Initially, I heard someone I highly respect advising not to be a part of a social utility such as MySpace. His reasoning was due to the 'popularity contest' mentality, and accepting friends that did not keep to high moral standards. Also, he was highly offended at some of the photos that he had seen on profiles of young people he knew. I don't blame him...on any social utility, everyone must keep their moral standards clearly in mind. It is way too easy to portray yourself as something you are not on the internet.

One thing that kinda fascinates me is the use of real names on Facebook. For all the folks that don't want to 'reveal' themselves to any criminal element, perhaps posting your real name or photos of you and your kids might cause some concern. However, everyone gladly uses their full name (first, middle and last!) and doesn't think a thing about it! Somehow, Facebook has given a false sense of security for those that were hesitant about their information being so public. (I still have chosen to stick with the moniker Hendel D'bu for myself, but not because I care about stalkers; I just like the name.)

The bottom line, for me anyway, is this is not an "either-or", but a "both-and". I like them both for different reasons, and I don't feel slighted if some of my friends want to like Facebook better...I'll just pester them over there! lol! I'll still direct folks to my MySpace profile, because it portrays me better than Facebook, without a doubt.

Comments