In the final analysis...MySpace

When I first entered the strange, new world of MySpace, I made the comment that I would be watching and finding out what was the big draw; what was the big deal about MySpace? I had heard of it’s bad reputation, how it was immoral and even dangerous. I heard the warnings to stay away and, for heaven’s sake, don’t let your children or teens even close.

When encouraged to add myself to the growing members of this site, I was wary, to be sure. What would I find? Stalkers and pedophiles? Prostitutes, drug dealers, even criminals? The dregs of society? Well, I have to say that I found none of those elements, although I’m sure they exist here in some form or another. What I found was that MySpace is what you make of it - and why does that surprise me? Isn’t that true of anything you involve yourself in?

So, I have discovered and concluded that I am richer due to this site and my participation in it. It sweetens my day when I have messages from my friends waiting for me. It is truly dessert for me to read a friend’s blog where they reveal a little more about themselves that I perhaps didn’t know. MySpace provides a unique opportunity for members to paint a picture of themselves in a way that no other medium can; pictures, music and descriptives that capture their essence. I suppose you could say that anyone can paint whatever picture they want to portray, however, might I suggest that that reveals something about them, as well?

Sure, I continue to hear detracters of MySpace... bad code, not particularly user friendly, etc. However, for it’s quirks, I say it’s no different from any other social environment. If you are observant, you can learn a lot about people; I believe it would benefit any parent, clergy, teacher, coach, leader, or mentor to create a Space and invite those with which they interact on a regular basis. It is a great way for sub-cultures to intertwine; I am involved in three such sub-cultures and the mix of those worlds here on MySpace is heady. I believe that it is good and right for all ages to be represented here.

I will continue to play here on MySpace and thank Caleb for pushing me to give it a try. I will continue to ignore the bad, however sometime entertaining, ads. I will continue to screen those who want to be my friends with a careful eye. I will continue to allow my daughter to learn the ins and outs of the computer while fussing with the look of her Space (which is set to private, by the way). And, I will continue to add my different perspective to this social microcosm I have created.

Comments