Definitions worth considering




FUN

It always comes down to definitions, doesn't it? Take, for instance, the word fun. Some use this word to talk about an experience where they had a great time physically and mentally (for example: going to the amusement park was fun!). However, some use the word for a myriad of things from watching others take vows (weddings, etc.), or using the word to describe their feelings while witnessing a child learn something new (example: it was so fun to watch little Johnny finally figure out that math problem.) I take a rather black and white view of the word fun. I always think of a dear friend who always said everything was fun - anything from going on a wonderful date to going to the dump. Finally, I confronted her on her discrepancy...not everything can be described as fun, in my view.

DIPLOMAT

I have been described as 'the diplomat', which I suppose is a fair assessment. I can be rather careful and tactful with the way I word things, to be sure. I believe that you can say anything, as long as you say it the right (or tactful) way. Just for fun, I looked up the definition of diplomat:

diplomat: one employed or skilled at diplomacy.

OK, so that doesn't say much, so let's dig deeper...

diplomacy: the art and practice of conducting negotiations between nations, or skill at handling affairs without arousing hostility (see tact).

Well, that second definition is getting closer, don't you think? It's not saying that the diplomat is NOT telling the truth, but just speaking in a way as to not arouse hostility. That's good - I like that...but I think I like this one better:

tact: sensitive mental or aesthetic perception 2 : a keen sense of what to do or say in order to maintain good relations with others or avoid offense.

Now, there it is! Nothing deceptive about that, now is there?

STRANGE LIZARDS THAT CHANGE COLOR

I have called myself a chameleon for many years, as I am able to adapt myself to many different groups of people. At times this can prove disconcerting to some; just when they think they have figured me out, they discover they have not. Just for fun, I looked up chameleon in Wiki, and was a little disheartened by what I found:

"When a person is described as chameleon, the reference to the animal is generally a commentary on the person's ability to blend into various social situations, often to mean the person has no true values, or that he quickly abandons them in company if it's convenient to do so..."

Interesting, but somewhat wrong, at least from my point of view. I definitely have strong and true values, and do not have the habit of abandoning them; whether or not those opinions, values, etc., need to be discussed, however, is a different story altogether and is determined by the situation.

So, there's a few definitions for your consideration.

signed,

the Diplomatic Chameleon

Comments