Convictions

During this season of hectic shopping and blaring advertisement, I am struck by the arrogance of us all. For me, it does not matter what season it is, I always must be kind and considerate to whose paths I cross. It really doesn't matter what their skin color, their religious preferences (or lack thereof), their marital status or their gender; I am convicted to show respect to another living person.

However, I find in myself this darkness; a tendency to believe that I know best, and that my beliefs are the most right. That I have more of a right to be 'right' than the next guy, who may be a Muslim or a Morman. That I am more righteous if I wear my tzitzit longer or with the proper colored threads, or pray more times during the day than the next. That somehow the G-d of the Universe will grant me more favor because of the fact that I study Hebrew or touched the mezuzah more times in one day than others. Does this line up with the straight stick of Scripture?

Unfortunately, when I was out today running errands, I was greeted by rudeness. I guess I wasn't moving quickly enough to get out of people's way, or perhaps they were just not happy within themselves. I know I cannot help them, but I smiled just the same. I think I have made the wrong assumption that it is Christians out doing their Christmas shopping and mailing, because the folks I came in contact with were far from loving and kind, as Jesus would command. No turning the other cheek here, just pushiness and growling looks. OK, so not everyone, but I'd say the majority were a little stressed. And, I suspect, not at me, but at the heavy traffic, high prices, long lines and cranky cashiers.

A soft answer turneth away wrath; but a grievous word stirreth up anger. (Proverbs 15:1)
I will continue to do what I believe is right in the sight of my Lord; keeping the commandments, celebrating the feasts, loving my neighbor and helping the widows and orphans. But must I have an arrogant attitude about it?

I will have a soft answer for the cranky cashier. I will have a sweet smile for the one that gives my necklace a sideways glance. I will have a helpful attitude for the grandma who needs to go ahead of me in line; regardless if she is a Jew or Gentile, Jehovah's Witness or Aetheist. I pray that HaShem will enable me to do this because it is the right thing to do... for shalom. And, not just for this season, but for all the seasons.

Comments