Think Again.



Think you can just delete your account from Facebook and escape data collection?

Think again.

I deleted my FB account quite a while ago. It was not easy, and took a couple of sessions of attempts prior to actually 'deleting,' including a waiting period (cooling off period?). When, in the course of my Masters study I was alerted to a private student group, I saw a definite need to jump back on Facebook. Yes, I have benefited from the group, but I also learned that Facebook had retained all my information. More than that, it reminds me regularly that I was another 'identity' at one time, and that I may want to meld the two. But wait...I thought I deleted. Think again.

Take a look at this from the NYT - I think you would need to have a post-grad degree in comp-sci to actually accomplish what so many think they are doing by deleting their account:



How disheartening. This is where we are now, watched and milked for demographic data like a herd of cows, but where are we going with all this?

I cannot help but to say that this is all in the name of capitalism. So much greed.

capitalism = unregulated accrual of wealth,
usually at the expense of the consumer

I really don't know what to do with my Facebook account now. I don't get that much benefit from the school group that much, but when there is drama, it can be helpful. It was in that group that I learned about certain courses and was able to change my course of study accordingly. But, do I still need that input? I am not sure. And, with the knowledge that Facebook has a line on me anyway (and all my contacts, by the way), from years ago to now, what is the use? Is there another option?

I hate it when I don't have a choice. We are told we have freedom of choice and a voice at the ballot box, too. But, the truth is that we are manipulated in ways we don't even know and as consumers we are exploited and used at every turn, while only the elites get the privileges we thought we had.

I am hoping that some bright millennial comes up with a way to confound the whole thing, and give Zuckerberg a run for his money.

Comments