Day 16: Hearst Castle & Cambria

Boy, it is difficult to catch up after not having access to blogging daily.

We are now home and nearly unpacked. But, I don't want to leave anyone hanging, so I will continue with our days. The photos are stunning, especially in the California sunshine! San Simeon was a beautiful place, although our hotel was nothing to scream about (I really would hesitate to recommend the Silver Surf Hotel, frankly).


My mom loved Hearst Castle, and she passed that love of this place onto me. I was able to visit when I was about 9 years old - it really left an impression on me. As it was then, I still am fascinating with the contemplation of the many, many antiquities collected by W.R. Hearst. I find it amazingly ironic that William, an only son, wasn't the preferred choice as heir of the Hearst fortune. I, for one, am so glad he used his eventual inheritance collecting historic pieces from around the world.



I took an amazing amount of pictures on our tour - we took the 'upstairs' tour. Last time, we took the 'grand rooms' which included the guest gathering rooms, dining and game rooms and a couple of the guest cottages. The upstairs tour included guest rooms, Mr. Hearst's private bedroom and that of his mistress, as well. As usual, the pools were incredible, the grounds were stunning and the exterior of the castle is definitely photo-worthy.

the rooms...

the statuary...the incredible pool...

the grounds...
Simply amazing.




And, then there was Cambria where we ate a fabulous lunch and then strolled it off...

highly recommend Linn's restaurant - it is fabulous!

Yeah...dessert. We had been soooo good up until this day, then we had to indulge. After lunch we had a scrumptous brownie with ice cream, a chocolate eclair, lemon-raspberry pie and then this...

homemade bread pudding with ollalie berry sauce - yummy!
OK, so we rolled back to the hotel after this - haha!

Comments

Ari C'rona said…
Love your pics and narration, my friend! I'm glad your perspective is so different than mine! :o)