That moment when...


Pet Peeve # 523: 'that moment' when you realize the one speaking hasn't a clue about grammar, let alone simple sentence structure, while making the assumption everyone else has had the same experience and frustration.

Ugh! Alright, it's my problem. I'll admit it.

What is it about these sentence fragments that really gets me? Irritatingly, it is like stepping into the middle of a conversation. It's a rather bold assumption that I, or anyone else, has had the same experience (even if we probably have). How frustrating it is to have the scene described but have no action, no direction, no...anything! The listener/reader is just left hanging, flapping in the breeze, riding an ellipsis and abandoned to experience the frustration and apparent lack of general language skills.

Now, I'm all about using sentence fragments to make a point, or to facilitate a better flow of thoughts into the written word. But really...this pushes the bounds for this writer and reader of stati. And I can understand trying to be funny; truly, I can (I make feeble attempts at humor all the time...hopefully in complete sentences or at least ones that make sense!)

Further, what really grinds is when a slang-idiom-whatever catches momentum with the more admired of the young, and then the older-who-still-want-to-be-hip take is as their own. Yikes! I'm alright when my 18 year old uses it occasionally to be funny with her friends, but when a 45-ish tries to use it with the same effect, it just ends up sounding, well...dumb.

Bold, I know; like I said, it's my problem.

That moment when you realize you sound idiotic...

That moment you realize the last person didn't replace the toilet paper...

That moment you realize you pushed the 'fuel empty' light on the dashboard a mile too far...

That moment when you can't seem to communicate like an intelligent adult...

~end of rant~


Comments

Ari C'rona said…
Agreed! I do not like looking dumb. Just sayin'.