Happy Birthday, Mom

It's dusky, grey this morning, with the standard dreary accompaniment of rain.

I wonder if, on the day my mother was born, what the weather looked like. She was born in Sioux Falls, South Dakota; back in 2008, the kids and I visited Sioux Falls in her stead. I wish she could have been there. It was rather funny when I told her during a travel-check-in call that we were there. She perkily stated, "that's where I was born!" Yeah, Mom...I know. That's why we're here.  *smile*

Happy Birthday, Maggie!

Mom would have been turning 68 today, the day after tax-day and twenty years my senior. In years past, her birthday would oftentimes fall during the Feast of Unleavened Bread. I would always feel bad that we couldn't share cake with her, although cake really wasn't her thing. She liked breakfast pastries like gooey bear claws and maple bars. On those years she was alright with no cake...as long as we could go out to eat. My foodie Mom enjoyed eating out.

I miss my mom today, on her birthday. It makes me sigh and stretch, once again, to remember the sound of her voice. She would have been working today, and I'm sure everyone there would have been happily wishing her a good day, bringing little gifts to make her smile. She smiled a lot. Then my dad would have 'surprised' her with a giant bouquet of flowers delivered with a gushy card. I think it amusing that then later he would have come to pick her up from work and hassle with the bouquet to get it home.

My parents make me smile.

I'll call my dad later and see how he is doing today. He will never forget her birthday, obviously...he had been celebrating the day of her birth since he was in his late teens. That's a long time and a lot of birthday kisses. They had a long standing tradition of being the first to wish the other 'happy birthday' or 'happy anniversary' on their special days...he will definitely be the winner from now on, and I'll bet he was awake at midnight last night.

Sioux Falls, So. Dakota

So, happy birthday, Mom. Your little girl misses you so much. You are in my very soul and I carry you wherever I go. I have so much to tell you...that Morgan is graduating this year, and that Alex and Tay are going to camp this summer. That Laura is doing so well recovering from scary surgery...I know you would have visited her in the hospital. All my friends miss you and have to hear about you all the time! Oh, and I really need to talk to you about my going back to school. I'm thinking about psychology and theology, Mom...what do you think? How in the world am I going to do it without your encouragement and support?

I love you Mom.

Happy Birthday.

Comments

Mama Cache said…
A hug is not enough. Certainly not the virtual one that I can offer. ;-(

I've been thinking about this day all week, and especially this weekend as her birthday drew nearer.

I'll say it again, I wish I could have met your mom. You have shared her in ways that make me feel like I did.

Love you, my friend. Your tributes to your mom are beautiful.
Ari C'rona said…
Once again, I am so grateful that I got to know and love your mom, my dear friend. Hugs on this special day...
Kaaren said…
Thinking of you today.
Netanya said…
My heart goes out to you today. Words can never express the degree of loss felt, all the moments you can't call and tell her about. I'm so sorry my friend.