Lessons from the Pit


Well, I have to say that I've never been in a pit before.  I suppose a lot of others have felt this way before me, and unfortunately, more will experience it after me.  Watched and judged, betrayed and beaten down, then thrown into a pit of despair, hopelessness and grief.  Left with the only chance of rescue being the Almighty Himself...but wait, didn't He facilitate this in the first place?

This happened to Joseph.  Favored by his father even so much as to be gifted with a beautiful robe.  However, jealously ruled the day in his brother's hearts.  Hidden for who knows how long, this envy manifested itself as Joseph shared his dreams.  And, then it happened...the pit experience.

Without getting cocky, I'd like to think I'm sitting on the edge of the pit now, dangling my feet into the abyss, looking down into where I've been.  It sure was dark down there.  Dark with depression, dark with the endless waiting for someone to do the right thing and throw a rope...dark with ghosts of the past.

pit, noun, deep hole or cistern that was once full of water then became empty, with miry clay beneath; used as dungeon wherein the captive has no water or food, hence symbolizing the dishonored grave of the once haughty transgressor.  

Joseph was afforded escape of certain death from the pit because the LORD had great plans for him.  I'm hopeful that the LORD has plans for me, as well.  I most certainly would not want to be in the pit forever, nor do I want to visit it again!

So, have I learned anything from languishing in the pit?  Perhaps...

I have learned of my own weaknesses.  Oh yes.  Funny how in the dark you come face to face with your faults and mistakes.  A good place to learn lessons, ask forgiveness and take on humility.

I have learned that I have a nasty tendency to trust too much (which makes me too vulnerable) and love too deeply (which makes people uncomfortable).  A hard lesson that has been.

I have learned that if you get too close to the fire, you will get burned. 

I've learned that sometimes people don't like you for things you can't do anything about, like your personality, appearance or strengths.  Jealousy is a dangerous thing.  (Haven't figured out how to avoid this one, yet.)

But the biggest lesson of being in the pit is that my only hope is in HaShem and that I can do nothing without Him.  Yeah, I already knew that, but now I know it even more.

"As for you, you meant evil against me,
but G-d meant it for good..."
~Joseph


Yes. 

The LORD is still working even in the darkness of the pit. 

Though sometimes we just can't see it until we are back out in the light.

Comments

Mama Cache said…
You may call yourself a pit-dweller -- I will just call you my friend. His work is so evident, and it will not surprise me if He uses this season in your life far more than you ever imagined. I just wish it didn't have to be so difficult and painful for you.

I love you.
asl4god said…
I LOVE YOU!!!! HUGS to my sis!!!
Ari C'rona said…
Oh, yes, that pit is a dark place. I'm so glad you're on the edge dangling your feet now - not in it anymore.

I love you, my dear friend. :o)
Barb said…
"I have learned that I have a nasty tendency to trust too much (which makes me too vulnerable) and love too deeply (which makes people uncomfortable)."

But if we trust less and love less deeply we begin to get hard inside. Yes your vulnerability has caused you much pain, but it has also made you accessible to all kinds of people and used by HaShem.
Jedi-J said…
My perspective on things is slightly different. God already proved to me that his plan was already in motion even before your pit experience. Glad to see you back here on the land! ;-)