Video Review: Power Yoga

If you are a somewhat regular reader of this blog, you probably know that I am a Rodney Yee fan. Dubbed 'America's Favorite Yoga Instructor', I really like his clear and concise teaching style. However, I'm sorry to say that I'm not crazy about the newest addition to my yoga DVD collection.

Power Yoga Total Body is very repetitious, repeating the sun salutation (mountain, forward bend, plank, upward dog, then downward dog) throughout, building on the routine adding in harder and more advanced moves as you progress through the 60 minute workout. And this is a workout, to be sure. Unfortunately, I much prefer the feel of a yoga 'practice' rather than a yoga 'workout'.

I have been practicing yoga diligently for over a year now, but I only made it though half of this program before abandoning the instruction for my own preferences. I am not pleased to say that I felt less than successful with this offering, not something I usually feel when practicing with Mr. Yee. Having more advanced poses thrown in with the basics makes the beginners feel unsuccessful and the intermediate and advanced bored. I was disappointed that there weren't alternatives or modifications suggested during the program for those that were not familiar with the more advanced poses.

Lastly, I did not care for the music. I much prefer a more meditative background and what is featured on this video is neither meditative nor introspective, in my view. To be honest, it was downright irritating and distracting.

I really wanted to like this DVD, but I must say that I will probably not use this one much.

Comments

Ari C'rona said…
Well, that's a bummer! I'm sorry it's not his usual quality - I was hoping it would be worth my while, too. I'm glad you found the other one, though!
Jedi-J said…
Consider yourself fortunate...the Wii Fit Yoga and the P90x Yoga bored the daylights out of me. Not to mention I can't do either with my back issues. But fear not I finally got my exercise ball and tension bands so I can begin physical therapy at home...basically Pilates. Good luck Master!