This Jedi reviews The Men Who Stare at Goats
Just the title of this post alone makes me want to laugh! We just came from viewing The Men Who Stare at Goats, starring George Clooney and Ewan McGregor. All I can say is...HAHAHAHAHA!
Yeah, we thought this movie was an absolute hoot! My Padawan and I, as you may already know, are AVID Star Wars fans. And boy did they reference our favorite obsession in this movie. It's the story of a special ops group within the military specializing in psychic abilities - super soldiers, at it were...Jedi Warriors. The story is told through the eyes of a struggling journalist (Mr. McGregor) who is following a fantastic story about these US Jedi Warriors. It is loosely based upon a true story taking place in the late 70's-early 80's. George Clooney plays a very believable 'super-soldier' with psychic abilities who takes our humble journalist on an incredible journey in the middle east.
I have read several reviews of this movie, and it would seem that my buddy and I are definitely the 'target audience' for this film. So, if you fit the following criteria, you may also find this movie HIGHLY entertaining:
- You are a fan of Star Wars
- You dream of being a Jedi, or actually think you are one
- Either you, or someone you know, thinks they are psychic, gifted with ESP or other intuitive abilities
- You enjoy light-hearted mocking of hippies or the 'new age' movement
- You don't mind quite frequent use of the f-word (I guessin' this is why the R rating)
- You love to ogle either George Clooney or Ewan McGregor, especially on the big screen
The plot of this movie could have been stronger, in my opinion, kind of dragging and leaving me skeptical in the second half of the movie. And don't look for this movie to have some profound wisdom leaving you to ponder long after leaving the theater - just sit back and enjoy the comedy. We sure did! I haven't laughed to tears in a movie in...well, I don't remember!
Yes, this Jedi will have to add this to my DVD collection. *smile*