Open letter to leaders


Dear Leaders,

It has come to my attention that this letter is long overdue, as you have been laboring under the pressure of leadership for such a long time. It would seem that some are just chosen, as it were, to make the difficult decisions, deal with relational quagmires, and blaze trails through wilderness that few can know. You are one of those leaders.

I know you have spent hours humbly on your face before the Master, seeking answers and begging for wisdom. You have been prompted to say the hard things, to study into the wee hours and stand up against heresy; you have done this bravely and with resolve. All of this does not escape my observation.

You have carried the burdens of others with, what would seem, little effort. Always self-controlled and measured, you have been a guide and comfort to those put into your care. Directing and teaching, hoping that you can impart the wisdom that has been gifted to you in an effort to make the lives of others sweeter. Valiantly, you have faced the battles of others, shoulder to shoulder and fully vested that the outcome be righteous and just. You are a good soldier, and the Master is pleased.

I also know that you are human and vulnerable. I am aware of your weaknesses and short-comings, but this is not to say that it makes you less than acceptable for the task. On the contrary, your vulnerabilities are necessary and used of the Master for His good pleasure. He sees when you stumble, even if others do not, and He knows of your private agony. You have built walls to protect yourself, and are hesitant to reveal your true feelings as a result of past hurt, erring on the side of prudence. For some reason known only to the Master, I know these things and understand more than you know or probably would like to acknowledge.

I have heard many times that as souls gather under your caring leadership that we are to bear one another's burdens, and thus attempt to fulfill our obligation to love one another. But that leaves me with a question that has been bothering me; who is bearing your burden? Which of us is that listening ear of compassion, that one that will strongly stand shoulder to shoulder, offering caring friendship that we all need? Who can do that for you? Further, are you willing to admit that it is needed?

It would be completely understandable if you felt taken for granted, as it is true that you are on so many occasions. It is my selfish desire for you to know that I do not. I value, appreciate and respect you in your efforts. I will petition for your strength and perseverance for the road ahead. I will look for ways to acknowledge your efforts to others, in love and reality. For this is the only way I know that I can help to bear the burden that you have been given.

I am eager and honored to encourage, support and pray for you in your role as righteous leader; of this be assured.

humbly,
Hendel D'bu

Comments

Anonymous said…
Your letter made me think of this passage I read recently:

Galatians 6:1-5 "Brothers, if someone is caught in a sin, you who are spiritual should restore him gently. But watch yourself, or you also may be tempted. Carry each other's burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ. If anyone thinks he is something when he is nothing, he deceives himself. Each one should test his own actions. Then he can take pride in himself, without comparing himself to somebody else, for each one should carry his own load."
GreyCrazy said…
Oh my, this is really just marvelous. :-)

I am the director of a large volunteer group that you and I have talked about before. Sometimes, it's just really difficult. You have touched on this in a way many don't understand and I appreciate your tender insight. You are really something special. (hugs)
Ari C'rona said…
Oh, my dear friend - I so love to read the words He gives you. I join you in both prayer and action for our leaders. :o)