Confession of a Mediocre Photographer



I love to take photos, plain and simple. Unfortunately, I can almost never duplicate how my eye sees a particular scene, which is a cause for much frustration and the desire for better equipment. Is this the fate of those who strive to record the world for posterity?
A great photograph is a full expression of what one feels about what is being photographed in the deepest sense, and is, thereby, a true expression of what one feels about life in its entirety. ~Ansel Adams
OK, so here's my confession: if I didn't live in such a spectacular place, with outstanding beauty all around, I wouldn't get half the photos I manage to snap. This realization has come after touring friends around the beautiful Pacific Northwest this past week. You just can't help getting a fab-o shot of the sunset when it is painted in a bazillion different shades of gold, orange and red right in front of you. Or when the "monster" that is Mount Rainier is close enough to touch.


So, if I lived somewhere else less, let us say 'picturesque', would I be as thrilled with the pics I have captured? I'm not sure. When we trekked around the country last spring, I was able to accumulate over 1,000 pictures stored on those little memory chips...a lot of them acceptable, I must say. But, I wonder...would it be harder to continue to come up with new and exciting photos if you didn't travel much?

In reality, I take my camera with me when I think a particular activity or obligation is going to be a little, well, less than exciting...just to keep me occupied.
No place is boring, if you've had a good night's sleep and have a pocket full of unexposed film. ~Robert Adams



And thus I continue to strive for that perfect snap, the one that will satisfy the need to duplicate what is in my mind's eye. Everyone needs a goal, right?
Photographers deal in things which are continually vanishing and when they have vanished there is no contrivance on earth which can make them come back again. ~Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comments

Mole said…
Something in me has a hard time hearing you call yourself mediocre. Do you think you could refrain from doing that in the future? Pretty please?
Ari C'rona said…
You are who you are no matter where you happen to be, my friend. You'd still strive to be the best you could be... btw, I think you're a great photographer! :o)