A Message from Mom


The birds have moved back in.

We have a family of, I'm assuming, barn swallows that have a lovely little nest above our front door. L'dor v'dor, I suppose...every year they come and lay their eggs and we get the thrill of watching them go about their parental business. And it's big news (for me, anyway) when the little baby heads begin to peek out over the top of the carefully constructed nest. I don't have to tell you how cute those little peepers are stretching their necks out, mouths wide open, waiting for something yummy to eat.

As I ventured out to capture the lilacs before they disappear for another year, my swallow friends scolded me for intruding their space. They will get used to us coming in and out; they always do. The smell in the air was so fresh, with a hint of flowers and new green leaves. The sun is shining, the dew is sparkling on the freshly cut lawn and everything is right with the world. Well, OK, that may be taking things a bit far, but this Mom couldn't ask for a more beautiful morning. I even stepped out into the wet grass with bare feet - man, in must be spring!

As the kids dream the last dreams before waking, angelically I might add, I am blessed with a quiet house. Refereeing will commence once again when everyone arises, but for now, it's so peaceful. *smile*

Upon the hallway wall, just across from my bedroom door, hangs a cross-stitch that my beloved mother-in-law created for my husband many, many years ago. It is simply words; she says it is an actual letter a friend of hers wrote to her children. Somehow the letter was shared, and her friend was deluged with requests to use her heartfelt words. I just love the sentiment, so I want to share it, too.
To All My Children,

There is so much to say to you and words won't really do the job, but I will have to leave you with some final instructions. You know I never could leave without leaving you all sorts of notes and things for you to do. And just remember wherever I am I'll be watching you and expecting you to do your best. That's what I expect from you - your best. Not by the world's standards but by what your soul and mind and heart tell you is right. Never mind what the world says. Your only happiness will come from knowing you have done the right things. You have brought me more happiness than you will ever know. I thank God for each of you.

I love you.

Mom

So here's a heartfelt Mother's Day wish for a blessed day to all my dear friends who are mothers, and especially to my own Mother and Mother-in-Law. I love you more than I could say.

Comments

Ari C'rona said…
Thanks for sharing this, my dear. :o)
Mole said…
Beautiful thoughts, beautifully written.
Ari C'rona said…
Hey, Happy Mother's Day to you! You are an awesome Mom, you know. :o)