Lookin' Back


It has been one year since we were getting ready to take off on the Biggest Field Trip Ever...and we are all thinking about how wonderful it was! But, even as we look backwards, we are starting early thoughts of perhaps embarking on another fantastic trek across the country! *gasp* Yeah...we are thinking post-Shavuot 2010, which would put it in a June time frame. May HaShem smile upon our plans to travel through states we have not seen, to meet people we haven't met and to enjoy His creation that we didn't even know existed....woohoo!

It's not set in stone quite yet, but we are prayerfully hoping. *smile* It has been requested, by the kids, that it not be called the Biggest Field Trip Ever this time around. Not sure what they have in mind, but I'm sure something will be suggested by the teen travelers as the time gets closer!

In the meantime, a dear friend reminded me of a blog I posted just before we left on the last road trip - most interesting. I enjoyed revisiting those feelings of anticipation and anxiety that I always get prior to traveling. I thought it would be worthwhile to post it again.


ALMOST LAST MINUTE BUSINESS, May 4, 2008

Well, just a few more days until we take off... really, I have today and tomorrow to get my act together, as Tuesday will be the last minute shopping and philosophy class, then Wednesday pick of the van & pack. It seems like I have quite a bit to do, and I dread that feeling of not being able to get my arms around every little detail.

Trip anxiety has fully taken hold, especially yesterday. It was the 'last' Shabbat prior to our leaving, and I can't help but to think (of the possibility) of it being my last one. G-d forbid the thought... why do I always think of those things? It was a sweet Shabbat, to be sure. I will always treasure sitting around with my most favorite people in the whole world, just talking and laughing... a lot of laughing! Exchanging special looks and teasing jabs (oh, and I can't forget discussing Passover chronology one more time!) - I cannot thank HaShem enough for all the incredible people He has given me. It was a special time to sit casually around the piano and sing our favorite (and not so favorite!) worship songs together. It touched me beyond words, and will not be forgotten. I have carefully added it to many other sweet and treasured memories of my congregation family... there are so many that I wouldn't trade for the world.

So, please indulge me while I put in writing how I feel for the special people in my life at the moment.

Mom and Dad - I love you so much. You are, and will always be, my foundation and safe place. You taught me so much, and I see you both everyday in myself. Thank you for all the sacrifice, advice, love, care, direction, and time that you have selflessly given to me.

Dearest Rob, thank you for allowing us the privilege and pleasure of traveling across the country on a crazy vacation. Thank you for making that possible, for your support and respect to me and the kids. Thank you for working hard when you didn't want to.

Morgan, Alex and Taylor - you are my heart. All I can say is if anything happened to you, I would die.

My sweet Lisa, words cannot describe what you mean to me, my dear Padawan. Never have I had a friend who accepts me as I am and loves me anyway. Tears spring to my eyes just thinking about how much I love you. I would gladly give my life for yours, if need be. I can't think of a better person to travel with. Period.

My beloved Tim, you are in my soul, and you have impacted me in ways you could never imagine. I love you and your beautiful wife Paulette, and am honored to be called your friend. Your words repeat themselves in my head at the most interesting times, and for that I am thankful. I am truly blessed to have the privilege of knowing you.

Dearest Katie, just let me make you laugh one more time... I love to hear and see you laugh, and I love you so much. And I always will.

Laura, my beloved sister, I don't have to tell you how you are a part of me. I love you to the depths of my soul. Wherever you are, I am there with you also.

My dear, dear friend Joanie, our friendship is one that I hold very close to my heart - I love you and your family and would absolutely do anything if only you asked... even the Azure order! I am honored to be your friend.

And the Lord, in His infinite wisdom has brought new friends to me, offering deep friendships that I treasured immediately. Deunan, you are special and dear to me and look forward to many hours of talking, laughing and sharing our passion of costuming. I love it when you share your heart with me and I know, with time, we will be able to communicate without speaking - I look forward to that time with anticipation. And my dear Kevin... I do so wish you lived closer! Your trust is completely safe with me, as you have my trust, as well. I love you, my new friend, and know that our friendship will only grow sweeter with time. Thank goodness for unlimited long distance!

So, let me go grab a hankie and wallow in my trip anxiety for a bit. *smile* I have no doubt that the Lord will protect us and keep us on our journey, and I anticipate all the things He will show us and teach us along the way. If you are so inclined, include us in your prayers, will you?

I am taking all of you along with me on this adventure, to be sure.

Comments

Ari C'rona said…
Wow, what memories this conjures up in my mind - not to mention tears in my eyes at your sweet words, my dearest of friends. I am honored and so thankful to be part of your life, and I'm anticipating another awesome trip, the L-rd willing.
Anonymous said…
Well, I have to plug that Atlanta would be a great stop, or better yet, Stone Mountain, because I would really love to meet you :)

Desi
Mole said…
This last year of my life has been quite special. You are precious, and I love you.

~Kev