Two-Wheeler

I seem to have a fascination with bicycles. As I was contemplating a Photo-of-the-Day, some of my favorite photos came to mind. Interestingly enough, I observed a theme...bicycles! There is just something about the look and feel of a bike; the freedom, the wind in your hair, the design, the potential, the memories. I seem to enjoy capturing these wonders of engineering frequently in my travels. Here is one I loved in Cannon Beach, Oregon..


When I was much younger, my parents always provided bikes for my brother and me. I remember a beautiful teal-colored Schwinn with a basket and a banana seat. My brother always got the BMX style of bike, and we would ride for literally hundreds of miles in a summer, I'm sure. As I grew to my full height, they gifted me a pale yellow touring Schwinn ten speed - what a beauty! It was just a lovely ride, and my friend Don and I would ride to the lake every day after I got off work and laze on the shore all afternoon, then ride back home. Sweet summertime memories.

This is a pic I took on our last trip to Sunriver, Oregon. We were at the bike rental shop and were mesmerized by all the shiny, new bikes just waiting to be ridden by relaxed vacationers. The Sunriver Resort features miles and miles of flat, paved riding trails just for bicyclists - heaven! I like to rent the 'grandma' style and just putter along the trail at a leisurely pace enjoying the peaceful golf course, the small lakes with ducks and herons, the pastures with horses grazing and landscaped vacation condos with little birds flittering happily in the trees.



Here is one of my favorite shots that I took in Israel...I just loved seeing this local wheeling his bicycle past some of the ancient ruins at Bet She'an. There was just something magical about it. Apparently, this was a short cut to his destination...right through the middle of the city of old.



On my first pilgrimage to Israel, we had the privilege of stopping in Amsterdam for a not-so-short layover. We took a whirlwind tour of the Netherlands, and if you didn't know, they are huge bike riders there. There were bikes absolutely everywhere. Somehow, I got the feeling that my tour companions were not as interested in the bikes as I was! The tour guide explained to us that in the Netherlands, they don't buy expensive bikes because they get stolen on a regular basis. So, I guess if you get your bike stolen, you just grab another one close-by!



This scene made me chuckle; the sign says 'no parking' and here sits a bike. Obviously, either bikes don't count, or the rider did not read the sign! Hey, it's pretty casual at the beach...



It is clear to me that I have passed on the love of bicycles to my son. He rides every chance he gets, and lives to tear apart bikes and put them back together in different ways. This is a picture of his 'workshop' in our garage. Interesting flashback; my father had a 'bike shop' in our garage when I was growing up, rebuilding bikes and selling them as a side hobby. I think it must be in the genes.


The bicycle is the most civilized conveyance known to man. Other forms of transport grow daily more nightmarish. Only the bicycle remains pure in heart.

~Iris Murdoch

Comments

Ari C'rona said…
That was a fun read, my friend! I like the international tie ins, too! :o)
Mole said…
You sure know how to yank dusty memories out of hiding . . . dragonfly green Schwinn 10-speed . . . no hands . . . horizontal hair . . . solitude.

Thanks.