This Star Wars Geek reviews CLONE WARS




So, we just returned from seeing The Clone Wars, the newest installment to the Star Wars Galaxy. The following review is written from the viewpoint of a TOTAL Star Wars geek, so be forewarned…

My expectation for The Clone Wars movie was much less than it actually delivered. I guess it was a good thing to read several reviews, both good and bad, prior seeing the movie. The most thorough review I read was on the StarWarsAddiction site; they described the movie's good and not so good facets. However, I was thrilled from the opening moments of the title clear through to the last posing scene. My favorite characters, Obi-Wan and Anakin, were portrayed just as they were in the opening sequence of the (novelization of) The Revenge of the Sith - as total and complete heroes of the Clone Wars, and a great team, as well. Other well-known characters were presented exactly in keeping with the ongoing characterization of them; Yoda was wise and very short, Mace sounded just like Sam Jackson, and we even got glimpses of other incredible Jedi, Kit Fisto, Luminara Unduli and Plo Koon. The Chancellor was just as evil, and actually looked more evil than in the movies, and Dooku and Asajj Ventress were perfect to hate…as usual. The newest character, Ahsoka, was just as spunky and talented as I expected - LOVED her! Great character! I just loved how she held her lightsaber kinda backhanded - way cool! And.. those Clone Troopers ROCK! Not bad backup, if you ask me!

The interaction between the characters was exactly what I'd expect it to be, and was in keeping with the established relationships in the live action movies and books. Anakin and Obi-Wan are completely trusting in each other in that mocking way of theirs, and Mace and Yoda are as brooding and steadfast as usual. I really liked the new relationship of Anakin and Ahsoka - very fun and fresh, but without stepping out of character for Anakin. Even Dooku and Asajj again reinforced their dark alliance with Sidious; and speaking of Asajj, she was fascinating to watch - very well done.

I was expecting the animation to be less than desirable, but I have to admit that I enjoyed it thoroughly. The soundtrack, which I have already purchased, was perfect and spot-on. I believe my Padawan and I enjoyed the movie way more than the others in the theater…which consisted of parents and children. OK, so there's no shock… lol!

I really believe that we enjoyed the movie so much more due to the fact that we have read so many 'back stories' of the characters. The part of the movie I loved the most was watching a Star Wars story come to life. I wish that happened more often… I'd love to see Shatterpoint, MedStar or Rogue Planet in that same animation or even live action. Or how about the Jedi Apprentice series? Sheesh, that would be AWESOME!

Anyway, the bottom line is that I absolutely loved the film; which was actually the pilot for the upcoming television series - can't wait to see more. Oh, and I will be seeing this movie again, to be sure!

So, would I recommend this movie? Well, I would wholeheartedly if you are a Star Wars fan! If not, you probably wouldn't get most of it, anyway.

Comments