Summary of the Biggest Road Trip Ever

our time with X Marks the Spot in Mobile, Alabama

So, where do I start?

We are home.

We are unpacked, the van is returned to the rental agency, and I am dutifully detoxing. I am kind of in a state of disbelief that it is over. I was asked if I still had the 'travel bug' today, after the big trip. The answer to that is a resounding 'Yes!' I am definitely a restless spirit, that's for sure.

So, where do I start to journal all that we experienced on our journey? I guess I could start with some numbers... 8,311 miles driven, almost 4,000 pictures snapped, hundreds of dollars spend on gasoline, shelter and mementos, and over 100 letterboxers met along the way.

Or, I could talk about all the things I learned about myself, my companions and traveling... I like Quality Inns the best, sometimes swimming pool chlorine makes me sick to my stomach, I can be with Lisa for a very long time and not get tired of her company, that I require a little bit more alone time than I thought, and that I wish more hotels had reliable computer access and better continental breakfasts.

I suppose I should talk about the states we saw, perhaps one at a time. We marveled at the difference of 'feel' of each state, even as soon as crossing the state line. I discovered that I favored Utah, South Dakota and Wyoming the most, as they were stunningly beautiful and had incredibly friendly, helpful people. I really did not care for our time in Georgia (hotel was not-so-good, some people were incredibly rude, and I got a nasty note on our van), although I'm so glad we went to Stone Mountain and met lots of fabulous letterboxers (no rude folks there!). I really expected New Mexico to be more lovely than it was (it was scrubby desert) and I was surprised to be in a traffic jam in Salt Lake City (probably due to the American Idol contestant coming to town, I suspect). I didn't get to see much of the lovely state of Kentucky either, due to the absolutely worst rain, thunder and lightning storm I have ever seen.


Even though I was incredibly worn out from our travels, I don't think I was ready to come home. I have to ask myself if I would ever be ready to come home; so much responsibility, obligation and personal relationship struggles - no wonder I don't want to come home! Oh, but it's not all that bad...

I sometimes think that I could wander the earth constantly moving and experiencing new things, meeting new people. I know that is an impossibility, and I probably wouldn't like it anyway, but it is fun to ponder.

Comments

Ari C'rona said…
That was fun to reread after more than a year! Sure do want to do it again, my friend! :o)