The Perfect Friend

I have been pondering friendship quite a lot lately. It would seem that there are many different definitions of the word friend, in all it's various degrees of intensity. That thought led me to think about what would be the qualities of The Perfect Friend.

So, join me in my little, happy bubble as I brainstorm all the attributes of the perfect friend...

My perfect friend...
has my best interests at heart.
wants to spend time with me, even doing the mundane.
enjoys trying to appreciate the different kinds of music I'm into at times.
laughs at my jokes, even if they are not that funny.
likes me for who I am, not for what they think I should be.
lets me buy them little gifts, and even says they like them.
allows me to postulate the deeper meaning of life, even to the sublime.
takes mocking like a pro.
dishes it right back like a champ.
doesn't talk behind my back... or anyone else's either.
doesn't mind if we are wearing the same outfits by accident.
never lies about things, except when it comes to talking about singing ability.
is open to new ideas and impulsive activities.
brings out the best in me.
knows what I order at Starbucks, my favorite color and what I don't like to eat.
respects me and cares about my feelings.
makes themselves at home in my home.
never makes me feel like I must entertain them.
loves my kids.
respects themselves, and cares about their appearance and how they present themselves.
has always got my back.
compliments me when I need it and gives me a reality check when it's warranted.
likes to share their life with me, even the not-so-pretty parts.
doesn't act phoney or fake.
knows what's important and what is not.
isn't selfish, manipulative or a control-freak.
wants to know what I really think.
makes me feel pretty, talented and funny.
keeps their word.
likes justice and righteousness as much as I do.
would do anything for me, if only I asked.
likes to create memories and history with me, just because they like me.
doesn't hang out with me to gain status.
is flexible and good-natured.
has the uncanny knack of knowing when a coffee is needed... or better yet, a drink.
likes to laugh so hard that we cry.
always saves me a seat right next to them.
knows what I'm thinking without saying a word.
doesn't mind if I talk during movies.
knows the burden of obligation, and is willing to help carry.
could stay up all night with me solving the world's problems.
is always up for an adventure.
always tells me if I have something stuck in my teeth. (!!)
makes me laugh by just hearing them laugh (or snort!)
likes the beach as much as I do.
doesn't try to put me in a "box".
still likes me with bed-head and in my jams.
has just the right medication available at just the right time.
has the same definition of friendship as I do.

May I fulfill my own high standards in all my friendships and may I always be available to those whom I love...

you know who you are.

Comments