Open letter to clothing buyers and manufacturers

Dear Apparel Designers, Manufacturers and Store Buyers,

I am a middle-aged, average sized American woman. I don't mean to shock anyone, but I like to look nice and dress my age. However, it would seem that this is one of the most frustrating and depressing aspects of my daily life due to the fact that I cannot seem to find clothing that both fits and looks aesthetically appealing. Below, I have listed some of my opinions in hopes that it will help assist in your design, manufacture and buying choices.

First and foremost, I want to scream at the top of my lungs, "NO ONE LIKES OR LOOKS GOOD IN STRETCH JEANS!" (there...I feel much better now.)

I don't want to look pregnant in any way, and either does anyone else who is not currently pregnant.

Thin, stretch polyester clings to every bump, roll and wrinkle (not sure if you were aware of this fact).

I don't like to try on 10 pairs of jeans and not have even one pair fit; either the waist is cut for a pregnant woman and/or the thighs are cut for someone who has a severe eating disorder. Help!

It would be nice if sizes were standarized somehow; it just isn't right that I can fit into an 8, 10, 12 and 14, depending upon the brand.

I am 5'5" tall, which means that I'm too tall for "short" and I have to hem "average" pants. ugh.

No one likes "Mom jeans" - don't design, make or buy them for our department stores. Not sure what Mom jeans are? The rise goes up to the navel and the ankles are tapered...yuck!

I really find it difficult to shop for shirts when they ALL have plunging necklines...oh, except the turtlenecks. Good think I like 'em...

And, don't even get me started on lingerie...

Y'know, men just don't have these issues. My husband doesn't even need to try things on; he just buys his size and they always fit. Amazing. That tells me that it can be done for woman's apparel, as well.

Thank you for your time and I hope that I have given some valuable insight into your target market.

Sincerely,

E. Henderson

Comments