Oh, and one more thing...

It was recently said to me that "No one is indispensable."

I totally disagree with this line of thinking.

I know where it originated, and I suppose it could be beneficial if you are talking to those with an over-active ego, misplaced confidence and blatant bravado in the workplace. But, other than that, it has no place in the vocabulary in the life of a believer, in my humble view. Actually, I think the saying offends me.

The word indispensable means, according to Webster, "absolutely necessary, essential". Well, there are quite a few people I would put into this category. Every one of my family members, all the members of my shul, all the hundreds of letterboxers that I have contact with, all of myspace friends and the friends of my friends, people that work in any service or manufacturing industries, all the military personnel that keep our country free... I could go on and on. Yes, I take issue with the thought that someone is dispensable.

I suppose those who have chosen to be evil, such as murderers, rapists, kidnappers, thieves, liars, cheaters and manipulators would be considered dispensable. However, I don't know anyone like these and wouldn't consort with them if I did.

Yes, life continues when someone is not able to be present, for whatever reason. But, that does not mean that it will be the same without them and that they are dispensable. That is just not true.

Every person is needed. Unfortunately, not everyone considers them wanted.

*stepping down from soapbox now - thank you for your attention*

Comments