Musings of a Newbie Costumer

Woke up this morning feeling rather reflective of this whole process of putting together a Jedi costume. Today is the day that we have set up to have photographs taken, and then comes submission of our applications for membership into a Jedi costumers group. All this is great, however, I have to say that I am obsessing over details that others don't see. OK, so that's not all that unusual...

While in the tunnel of creativity, expectations, motivation and energy is always high. It is only after emerging from the tunnel, do I remember the rather interesting details of the journey. I am a very auditory soul, so it would make sense that I would remember the soundbites. I will try to capture some of them here for posterity.

"Wow! Cha-ching!"

"Can we do that?"

"Man, am I sick of shopping for stuff that just isn't out there!"

"But, do we need half a cow?"

"Oh, poop... my emitter just fell out!"

"How many layers am I gonna have on?"

"No, it's only a prop... you can't turn it on. Really."

"It always comes down to the adhesive, huh?"

"I am sweating already just trying to put the dumb thing on!"

"Oh! I think I just cut you in half with my saber!"

"$33 per yard - my husband is gonna have a fit!"

"Yes, I said Jedi... we are dressing up as Jedi. No, not for Halloween."

"Oh no! My padawan braid fell off again!"

"Have you thought about going to the bathroom in this thing?"

"Look, it's the (insert clutzy, mocking, or any other negative adjective here) Jedi!"

"But, do I look like a potato?"

"Do Jedi wear earrings?"

"How did they do all those lightsaber battles, and not catch themselves on fire?"

"Um... can I say that you are a little obsessed about this?"

"Did the food capsules come yet?"

"So, it's not like you are gonna be having a bunch of lightsaber duels, you know..."

"It's the tuck-tuck-tuck thing..."

"Yeah, but he had a whole team making sure his costume was on straight!"

"Let's look at the pictures again... oh, he is so (insert swoon here)!"

"Everyone is gonna think we're nuts!"

"So, what are you supposed to be...a buccaneer?"

"That's not the Jedi way!"

"OK, the belt is on... can you breathe?"

There are so many more that I have forgotten for now... perhaps, I will just have to make an amendment to this blog later. For now, I have to go finish the final details of yet another attempt at the undertunic.

I don't think Obi-Wan had to do this.

Comments