Letterboxing Event...what's that?

[Nov 12, '07]

Yesterday, I had the pleasure of attending a Letterboxing Event, sometimes called a gather. This is not my first, and each one is unique and fun in it's own right.

A Letterboxing Event is where a bunch of letterboxers (if you don't know what this is, you need to google it) who gather in one place, be it a park or inside venue and exchange signature stamps, collect area letterboxes and generally shmooze. Sometimes there is food involved, but usually that just gets in the way of the stamping frenzy. Besides, eating finger food with inky fingers is kinda gross.

I met some new letterboxers in our area, which is always fun. I exchanged with eleven newer 'boxers yesterday, which is always exciting. It is fun to see people's faces when I introduce myself - I have quite a few planted letterboxes, so most newer letterboxers recognize my name.
My favorite part of events is catching up with letterboxing friends that I have met previously. Each time I see them, the bond of friendship grows and it is so much fun. As we sat at the restaurant last evening, I thought about how wonderful it is to belong to a group of people that are as geeky and fun-loving as myself. I find it funny that even though we know each others 'real' names (mostly), we use our trailnames when we address each other. It must sound quite interesting to others catching snatches of our conversation! Serenade talking to Maiden who is laughing with Dorks Anonymous... down the table Clover was laughing with ClioMouse and dbltall...!

The restaurant where we had dinner was an Indian restaurant - I had never tried Indian food, but it was simply delicious! I know I had dahl and the best chai ever, but I had a bunch of other stuff, too, (that I don't remember the names of) that was quite good. I'm not much of a foodie, but what a treat!

Most events are scheduled on Saturdays, which don't work for those of us that keep the Sabbath. So, when they are scheduled for Sundays, I always try to attend. I have hosted a couple, and that is a lot of fun, too, but much more work and worry. I think I prefer to just show up...

Another fun part about yesterday: I reached the 500 letterboxes found milestone - woohoo!

Comments