It's hard to be Jewish at Christmas

Did you know that quite a few folks do not celebrate this designated birthday of Jesus? For those of us that don't, making it through this time of year can be quite a harrowing experience.
I don't want to split hairs, but I'd have to say that at least 80 percent of the folks out buying gifts for others do not attend church. Doctrinal differences aside, can I ask why Christmas is so secular? It's supposed to be a "holy-day", isn't it? It amazes me that so many pay homage to a fat man in a red suit & beard and his reindeer with an electronically glowing nose.

I think the worst part for me is the music; we are all subjected to the same crappy music year after year. None of it is original, as every singing entity must put their own stamp of approval on the Christmas 'standards'. From Harry Connick Jr. to Barbara Streisand to the Chipmunks... aaaaaaaaaaaaah! Can I just say that if I hear 'Feliz Navidad' one more time (by that artist that no one knows, but we can all hear his voice in our head) I am going to absolutely scream??!! And no, singing it slower with more feeling doesn't make it any more original. Mocking this music as you go through the store can provide a little comic relief, but mostly it just embarrasses your children (which can be OK, too!). :-)

The post office was quite an experience, as well. Since the lines were so long, a few folks opted for the Automatic Postal Center kiosk. Similar to a cash machine, you go through many screens to determine and purchase the postage for your package. The problem with this is, though, that most of the folks giving it a try (thinking that it will be faster than waiting in the line) didn't know how to use the thing, and once they got their turn, realized that they were somewhat intimidated by the process. Ugh. Just so you know, the APC line is a little faster, but far more painful to endure. And, when you get your turn, just know that all eyes will be on you from the other folks in the line, as they will you to go just a little bit faster.

My friend and I did have a bit of fun strolling the mall a couple of days ago. We were both smart to sport our Magen David (Star of David) necklaces, but it did not seem to make any difference to some. Happy Holidays! Have a Merry Christmas! Not only were the shoppers spiritually defunct, but immodestly dressed, as well. Plunging necklines and bared spare tires do not disguise the fact that most have eaten a few too many 'extra value meals'. Eeewww! There were a few 'normal' looking shoppers, but they were few and had a panicked look in their eyes (perhaps most normal folk had already finished their shopping). I don't go to the mall often, and my friend and I were just overwhelmed, walking next to each other totally overstimulated by all that was going on around us. The kids were cute, though, all dressed up for their big moment on Santa's lap... glad I didn't have to pay for that!

I certainly don't begrudge those who want to celebrate this holiday; enjoy, I say - live it up right! Spend time with your family, go to church and worship with your congregation and give gifts in love to your friends and loved ones. But, must those of us that don't be subjected to the torture of the by-products? Heavy traffic, bad music, pushy line-waiters and insincere cashiers?

I'll be glad when it is over... which will be soon, thankfully!

I promise, I will not subject any of you to these tortures when Passover arrives.

Comments