Everyone's entitled to my opinion!

Well, that title is definitely sure to capture your attention, huh?

Contrary to popular belief, I do not believe that everyone is entitled to my opinion. However, when asked, I will gladly give it! I have not posted a blog for a bit, due to sheer busy-ness, but I realized (while in the shower) that I have a few thoughts poppin' around in my head. Since the year is coming to a close, it is a good time for introspection and re-adjustment.

I don't know about others, but the shower seems to be my best thinking place. By merely shouting out, "I'm gettin' in the shower!", I get about a half an hour of time with my own thoughts. I have complete privacy by simply pulling the shower curtain closed. A private place to talk to my Master, to let out emotions that I have been denying myself. No body can hear you have a good cry in the shower, and that's a good thing.

Much to my amazement, this year, I have admitted that I have a best friend. Probably the best friend I have ever been blessed with. I have always taken issue with the term 'best friend', as it seems to be a tool of manipulation (especially among females). The term carries much responsibility and obligation that I have tended to shun. Friend is a much more non-commital term, and much more manageable. However, when someone shows such unconditional love and loyalty, what can I say? Co-dependent? Perhaps, but I wouldn't want to live without her at this point. Life is just too hard.

Another thing that has happened this year is that two of my children are very close to eye-level with me. I'm not a particulary short person (5'6"-ish), and it is unnerving to have them look at me eye to eye. Puts the relationship in a slightly different arena, I think. It's all good... I want them to grow up, but it is just a little startling. I am thrilled that I have made it this far. And, I am proud to say, that I finally allowed my daughter to cut her hair as short as she wanted. (Pretty good, eh?)

This year I have more clearly defined who I am and what I stand for. I have made vows to my G-d that I am happy and willing to uphold - unto death. I will stand for Israel; I will uphold Torah to the best of my ability; I will stand up for truth and justice with everything that I am; I will fight for the underdog for the sake of righteousness; I will teach my children to do the same.
I am struggling with the upcoming vote for US President. In my opinion, the perfect candidate would be a true and proven believer in the G-d of Abraham, Isaac & Jacob, pro-Israel, pro-life, smart, kind and compassionate, strong in values and ethics, willing to take a stand for righteousness, a patriotic American, a natural-born leader and speaker, and married to their first spouse (preferably with children). Oh, and a man. *shrug* So far, I don't see anyone who fits this criteria.

This year, I have continued in the hobby I love; letterboxing. It has taken many forms, and I enjoy them all. It does take up a lot of my time, but the relationships and lessons I have gained from the experience makes it all worth it. I am a stamp carver, first and foremost, and this hobby allows me to carve to my hearts content - and people actually enjoy them!

I have finally admitted to being a full-on Star Wars geek. (I know you are shocked!) Little does the general public know, but there are a lot of us out there, but most are 'in the closet' so to speak. I absolutely and thoroughly enjoyed making a Jedi costume. I read (and re-read) all the SW books I can get my hands on, and can talk about characters and plot for longer than most are willing. I revel in the Jedi philosophy, as it so closely matches up to my own beliefs. So many people long to live in another time, either the Old West or the Victorian era, but I should have been a Jedi.

I know there are more things in my head that I could write down; sometimes I wish I had a computer in my shower! I have some of my best thoughts there; it's just difficult to get them down in print.

Just so you know, I am interested in hearing other's opinions as well. I like to think that I am open-minded and objective - don't we all?

So, here's to another year past - May the G-d of the Universe look upon us favorably and grant us peace, and may we be pleasing in His sight.

Comments