Dress-up, anyone?

Did you ever play dress-up as a child? For my kids, when they were younger, I collected funny, goofy clothes and accessories for them to play dress-up. Funny hats, weird sunglasses and wigs, funky ties... they had great fun. Got some really great pics of them getting creative!

Now I'm embarking on a type of dress-up, as well. As an avid Star Wars fan, I have always wanted my own Jedi costume. Not an exact replica of one of the characters, but my own creation. And, after many months of considering, I actually have a good excuse to create one! I will be attending a letterboxing event in July, where I will be wearing (hopefully) my new Jedi attire, complete with lightsaber!

Putting together a Jedi costume is no easy feat, I will tell you. To purchase one outright is a little out of my comfort zone (not to mention not in the budget), so that leaves making it my only option. There are the tunics, the obi and belt (which is very specific), the pants, the boots. And, you cannot just go get a pattern for these things, you have to modify them to actually look like the real thing. I'll have to call in some help for this part. It must be quite heavy to wear all those layers, but I guess I will find out!

And the lightsaber. Every Jedi must have a lightsaber, and in correct fashion, I am constructing my own. You would be surprised at what the lightsabers in the movies were constructed from, but I don't want to spoil anything for you! My DH is helping me with the hardware end of things, and my design juices are flowing... I'll post pictures of what I come up with!

OK, so my latest obsession. There are groups of other SW costumers around, too, so I don't feel too weird... *smile* You just don't hear about them. If you would like to see some of them, they will be marching in the Seattle Seafair Torchlight Parade this year. Wouldn't that be great if I were one of them!

Comments