The $100 Haircut

When I was in high school, for my senior year, I made the bold choice to attend "beauty school" for half of my classes. This included taking theory classes all summer leading up to my senior year and then all of my senior year. I enjoyed cutting & styling hair, learning about color, giving manicures & pedicures, etc. However, as I got closer to the end of my training, I began to realize that most that come out of beauty school don't make much money. I also realized that I had not done as much research (next to none!) about my chosen career and had to admit I had made somewhat of a mistake.

I did not finish my training and did not take the boards, but cut the hair of friends and family for years following. Unfortunately, as I got older and my hair got shorter year by year, I was increasingly frustrated at my inability to find a hair stylist that I was happy with. I would watch them cut my hair, and lament to myself, "geez, I wish I could just cut my own hair!"

The years of bad hair clicked by. Eventually, I found myself talking to a dear friend of mine one day about her husband's hair. Always appreciating a well-done haircut, I was complimenting his recent trim. She proudly stated that she had done it. "I didn't know you cut hair!" I told her, and she explained that she didn't, really, but used this really cool machine that cut hair evenly and easily with the use of a vacuum. Skeptical, I asked for more details. Upon further research, and her glowing report, I decided to invest in this new-fangled way to cut hair. Of course, you have probably heard of it - Flowbee.

For years now, I have been successfully cutting my hair myself with my nerdy machine that hooks to the vacuum. I also have saved literally hundreds of dollars cutting the hair of my two boys. I wonder how much money we have actually saved by buying that (then) $70 Flowbee. Everything was happy in the haircut department, until my Flowbee went on the fritz. :-(

For the past two weeks, I have been due for a haircut. I have been kvetching, rather loudly, to my Padawan about my situation; do I buy another nerdy machine or bite the bullet and try to find a hairstylist to cut my hair to my liking?

I decided to talk to two of my friends that have the best haircuts I have ever seen...Bertha & Edith*. They both have flawless haircuts, very well styled and perfect for their face shape and hair type. Unfortunately, when I discussed their hairstylists with them, both of them were a little embarrassed to tell me how much those perfect cuts cost them - to be honest, it was a little too close to the $100 mark for my taste. Ouch! How could I justify spending that much on a haircut that would have to be repeated every 4 - 6 weeks? I just couldn't do it.

So, in desperation, I bought another Flowbee. However, since the last time I bought one, the price has risen to $100. Still a deal in my mind, especially in light of how much a good haircut & style was running these days!

So, there is the story of my $100 haircut. However, I feel okay about it, cuz each time I have to cut my hair (for free), the price goes down! lol!

Gosh, I feel better with a good haircut!

*not really their names; I don't have any friends named Bertha or Edith!

Comments